New color conversion system

Cyrille Berger cberger at cberger.net
Thu Sep 27 09:51:11 CEST 2007

On Thursday 27 September 2007, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 September 2007, Cyrille Berger wrote:
> > On the other hand pigment could probably made to only requires QtCore (it
> > currently uses QImage which is in QtGUI, but that could be changed
> > without too much work). I wish people stop complaining about this. Do we
> > complain about one of the library used by Krita depending on glib ? (or
> > even GTK on Debian, but on that point, I did complain, so...) I could see
> > it as a problem if the library was depending on the whole Qt4 Framework !
> > People have to remember now that Qt4 is splited in small package.
>
> Yeah. But I am completely sure that even with just a QtCore dependency we'd
> find no users outside KDE. That's what Till found with Akonadi, too. And
> even plain C++ isn't accepted -- that's what Jos found with Strigi. Unless
> we get a firm commitment from someone outside KDE that they want to start
> to use Pigment, it's not worth doing work on making it more independent.

Yeah, but that had probably mean writting our own QBitArray, QString (you
don't want to use std::string), plugin  loader, ....

As for Akonadi and Strigi, is it really because it uses QtCore and C++, or
because third party applications allready have their own system ? Maybe not
as clean and usuable in other application, but still there allready is the
Evolution Data Server, the Mozilla fundation is never interested in something
developed outside Mozilla. As for strigi, it's competing with other well
established search and index framework (beagle, tracker, ...).

--
Cyrille Berger