Thoughts on Krita website presentation

Cyrille Berger cberger at cberger.net
Wed Sep 12 17:03:12 CEST 2007

> I had hoped that Krita would grow into a replacement for Gimp.  There is
> already Kolor Paint  as a pure painting program.  If I have misunderstood
> the rationale of Krita someone please correct my thinking.

KolorPaint isn't a pure painting program. It's a lightweight painting and
image editing application. Krita is a high-end painting and image editing
application. The main goal is to give the tool to be creative with your
image, with a strong emphasie on giving the best tool to create image from
scratch. So there is an overlap with the gimp, but both tools are not
equivalent.

> I am not a fan of office suites in any case. Too often ease of use by
> absolute beginners is emphasized over quality of output.  Perhaps KWord is
> the bad child that gives the whole family a bad name.   In KDE/Koffice
> there are several overlapping graphic  programs that try to do many of the
> same things.

Is there ? I guess you mean Karbon and Kivio. Well they address two differents
things, one is a general vectorial editor, and the other one is dedicated to
flowcharts editing. While you can draw a flowchart with a vector editor, a UI
dedicated to flowchart editing is not toy.

> For a long time now users of Gimp have asked for two things:  native cmyk
> color model and 16 bit color depth. These seem to be asymptotic goals---we
> never quite get there. But Krita has cmyk out of the box.
and 16bit :) (event 32bit)

--
Cyrille Berger