Thoughts on Krita website presentation

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Wed Sep 12 18:55:33 CEST 2007

On Tuesday 11 September 2007 01:40:41 pm Moritz Moeller wrote:
> John Culleton wrote:
> > Actually Scribus is execellent at laying out a brochure or a book cover
> > but is marginal on actually doing the typesettng of a book.
>
> Hmm, I found it quite buggy when using it to do a brochure lately.
> Definitely not worthy a version number >1 imho.
> But I guess it doesn't invalidate Torsten's point. You wouldn't use
> KWrite or OpenOffice Writer to do a book either, innit? :)

I typeset and index books, using pdftex, Context, eplain and makeindex, all
part of a normal TeX distirubtion.

I have KW and OOW plus Abiword as word processors.  I used to use them to
convert from doc format to e.g., LaTeX or txt format. However "antiword"
handles that task adequately for most files.  Now I just use them to view the
original doc file in case there is some subtle requirement I missed.

> > The developers are
> > working on a kludge to import LaTeX documents somehow, but what they
> > really need to do is incorporate the basic TeX paragraph building
> > routines internally like InDesign did.  It is more work but it is the
> > ultimate satisfactory solution.
>
> I couldn't agree more. :)
>
> > Getting back to Krita, if there were a convenient way to upgrade it on my
> > Slack 12 partition I would be happy as a clam. But if there is such a way
> > it is well hid.  Krita is a young product, and each new version will
> > bring major improvements.
>
> May I suggest you try Gentoo on your Slackware partition. :] Since you
> are comfy with Slackware/building from source. It took me 15 minutes to
> write an ebuild for Krita 2.0 (based on the Krita 1.6. one which is in
> Gentoo already).

I struggled to install Gentoo twice recently and got the thing installed but
ran into a problem with the internet connection that I could never solve.  I
may try again after I get a customer job out of the way. Work before play :<)

--
John Culleton
http://wexfordpress.com