Thoughts on Krita website presentation

Moritz Moeller mnm at dneg.com
Tue Sep 11 19:40:41 CEST 2007

John Culleton wrote:

> Actually Scribus is execellent at laying out a brochure or a book cover but is
> marginal on actually doing the typesettng of a book.

Hmm, I found it quite buggy when using it to do a brochure lately.
Definitely not worthy a version number >1 imho.
But I guess it doesn't invalidate Torsten's point. You wouldn't use
KWrite or OpenOffice Writer to do a book either, innit? :)

> The developers are
> working on a kludge to import LaTeX documents somehow, but what they really
> need to do is incorporate the basic TeX paragraph building routines
> internally like InDesign did.  It is more work but it is the ultimate
> satisfactory solution.

I couldn't agree more. :)

> Getting back to Krita, if there were a convenient way to upgrade it on my
> Slack 12 partition I would be happy as a clam. But if there is such a way it
> is well hid.  Krita is a young product, and each new version will bring major
> improvements.

May I suggest you try Gentoo on your Slackware partition. :] Since you
are comfy with Slackware/building from source. It took me 15 minutes to
write an ebuild for Krita 2.0 (based on the Krita 1.6. one which is in
Gentoo already).

That ebuild fetches from SVN, so I can just bump by copying the ebuild
file to a new version, type 'emerge krita' e voila. :)

There are well maintained ebuilds for Inkscape, Scribus, Gimp etc.
Including the option to select a particular version or always use most
bleeding edge one.

.mm