Introduction and New Composite Ops - Hard light and Soft Light

Warren Baird photogeekmtl at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 03:41:29 CEST 2007

Cyrille Berger wrote:

> Your pictures look like 'creative' to me :)

:-)  Thanks

> I guess your work involves using layers and mask and effects on single
> layers ?

Generally speaking, yes.   I usually have 2-4 images that I combine with
various composite ops to get the overall effect I'm looking for.   Then
I generally have a set of images of objects/people that I want to
overlay/merge into the image.     Assuming that an 'effect' is more or
less a 'filter' in gimp (blurring, displacing, etc.), I don't generally
use them too often.

> If I am correct, you might be interested in reading [1] which is (a
> not very detailed) explanation on what we are doing for layers/masks/effects
> in Krita 2.0.

That definitely sounds more flexible than what the gimp provides.   In
the gimp, I usually end up with a lot of layers, each with a layer mask,
and I then make use of Gimp's ability to copy a layer mask into the
current selection.    Being able to have multple selections active (or
disabled) on each layer would be quite useful.

Warren