Introduction and New Composite Ops - Hard light and Soft Light

Warren Baird photogeekmtl at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 03:41:15 CEST 2007

Boudewijn Rempt wrote:

> My feeling is that anything that gives a user more possibilities to mess with
> their work is a Good Thing, provided we can pour it into a user interface
> design that doesn't stop people from creating new stuff. Adding new composite
> ops fits in completely with that purpose.

That's good to hear...   One of the things I'd like to experiment with
is in creating new and interesting composite modes...   Initially I'll
probably do it by just recompiling krita --- but that isn't necessarily
an ideal solution.   Has any thought been given to making composite ops
plug ins?     Or even a 'live' composite op, where users can specify
formulas interactively?    I'm guessing that an interpreted language
would be way too slow, but maybe some kinda magic that compiled a shared
object on the fly and linked it in...

> They probably won't be: after all, the collage is a traditional part of oil
> painting by now :-)

Ok ---  Then I'll definitely kick in my $.02 on a few threads...

> Yippee! Patches! Against 2.0 for inclusion in future releases: but I'd like a
> patch against 1.6, too, in case we do another release of that -- given the
> current set of delays, I don't think it too unlikely.

Ok - I've done my prototype against 1.6 --- I'll see about getting 2.0
out and getting it to compile.

Warren