Color selector

david powell achiestdragon at whipy.demon.co.uk
Thu Oct 18 22:02:48 CEST 2007

On Thursday 18 October 2007 8:36 pm, Cyrille Berger wrote:
> On Thursday 18 October 2007, david powell wrote:
> > actualy i seem to like them at the moment , size is a problem though
> > for those with low res desktops
> >
> > from a user point of view speed of being able to do a task is more
> > important
> >
> > in other words having to hit 3 or 4 different buttons to get the desired
> > result repeatedly is not good
> >
> > maybe what would be a good idea is to have a flip tool view /drawing view
> >
> > the tool view would let you have almost all the screen aria for colour /
> > brush and style options , letting you just filp to it change something
> > and filp back
>
> Ctrl+Shift+H (hide all docker) ? But I do like to see the layerbox, or the
> color selector, or the tool options when I draw. The only things is that
> you can't have two rows of dockers, I wonder how hard it would be to beg
> Trolltech to add this to Qt4 (the doc of QMainWindow::splitDockWidget seems
> to indicate that it is possible, or the function is under documented).
ctrl+shift+h is a bit sort of not instantly remeberable

in protel dxp it dose that with the tool panels , basicaly an autohide
function a bit like you can enable on the main kde taskbar
although in practice it just seems to get in the way and pops out when you
don't want it to

> > usabilaty /.
> >
> > haveing options on display aids the user in finding them , hide them in
> > some sub menu and some users may never even find they exist
> >
> > it also saves the user having to search though nearly all the menus to
> > find the option ( remeber a lot of people would use this occasionaly  so
> > may have to relearn where they are each time )
> >
> > blender if you have tried it is a pita , takes you 2 months to learn all
> > the commands and if you have to leave it for a while you find you spend
> > another few trying to relearn it , not to mention an almost imposible to
> > figure out GUI , that program would be good with a new front end
> > anyway
>
> Well. In usability there is something called the "3E's analysis"any
> software is a balance between "Ease of use", "Ease of learning" and "Ease
> of remembering" (see  [1] for more details), but basically you can't have
> all of them, you need to choose a priority that will fit your target. And
> as a matter of fact, Krita and Blender target "Ease of use", that mean the
> occasional user that need "Ease of remembering" is not our priority. That
> doesn't mean we should try to make stuff extremely hard to remember or
> difficult to learn. And as far as I have been told, the blender UI is
> extremely efficient for someone who spend a lot of time with it.
>
> > speed/.
> >
> > when drawing and yes 3 to 4 hrs maybe more in one go , the fact that
> > you know what option you want to change , but  say
> >
> > you want to change the brush shape/ size ,, and the opacity  , draw a bit
> > , change the colour , and drawing mode , then revert back , eather you
> > have to use quite a lot of screen space or end up having to search though
> > menus for them
>
> I hope no one try to search for this in the menu :) As they are not
> appearing in it.
>
> That said I found your idea interesting, but I had rather see it done
> throught allowing docker to dock on multiple row and then hide them/show
> them with a shortcut. Keeping docker gives more flexibility, especially for
> people with a dual screen setup. And an entry in the handbook with
> suggestion of workflow could gives the idea to set things that way for
> people (like me) who wouldn't have had that idea.
>
> [1] http://www.mmiworks.net/eng/methods/index.html#3E
still to setup for dual screen on the test system atm
looking to have that done over the w/e .

maybe a solution maybe to allow the docker windows to be placed onto seperate
desktops so you could switch between 2 desktops one containing the main
drawing area and the other the tool dockers ,
although i think this may be a bit confusing when running multiple instances
of krita

Dave
--
my personal website