Brush spacing / rotate / scale

Sven Langkamp sven.langkamp at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 03:04:43 CET 2007

On 11/14/07, Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Nov 2007, Valerie VK wrote:
>
> > Come to think about it, I don't think I've seen live updated path
> > strokes outside of vector programs either...
>
> It would be cool, but I cannot imagine it being at all fast. But maybe
> with some kind of delay timer that strokes the path on a temp layer after
> the user hasn't moved the node for a little while... It could be done.

I could be done, but it would get really slow for big paths. Actually
I don't know yet, how to do non-live updates with flake ;)

> > Still, I was curious as to what Matthew might have been referring
> > to, so I went to examine the Gimp path system again. I think he
> > is referring not to Live update, but to the ability to apply
> > strokes to Portions of the path before the full thing is finalized
> > and then deleted. Basically, in Gimp, I can do this sequence:
> > - make a path segment
> > - apply stroke (path still there)
> > - continue the path
> > - apply stroke (path still there)
> > - undo the last stroke and edit that one portion of the path if
> > the stroke came out wrong, then apply stroke again
> > - eventually, go back to previous portions of the path, though
> > obviously you can't undo early path strokes unless you delete
> > everything that came before
> >
> > Maybe Matthew wants a command that allows you to apply a stroke
> > before finishing the path. Maybe hitting "space" or the likes to
> > allow him to apply a stroke on the go, while leaving the path
> > intact. This would also allow, as he had said, for a user to
> > "repeatedly stroke the same path." It sounds reasonable.
>
> That would a pretty simple interaction change in our old path code
> (which we still need to port...) If we would extend KoPathShape
> with stroking using Krita brushes instead the path would always be
> "live", but you wouldn't be able to stroke, change the path and then stroke
> again.

I added a method to stroke a path with the current brush. Adding a
path painting tool like in 1.6 isn't that difficult as flake +
KisPainter provides everything needed. Maybe I will implement that
later today.

The basics for editable paths are already partially implemented in the
vector selection, we just need to create some kind of layer/mask which
draws the KoPathShapes onto a KisPaintDevice.