Brush spacing / rotate / scale

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Wed Nov 14 10:24:58 CET 2007

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007, Valerie VK wrote:

> Come to think about it, I don't think I've seen live updated path
> strokes outside of vector programs either...

It would be cool, but I cannot imagine it being at all fast. But maybe
with some kind of delay timer that strokes the path on a temp layer after
the user hasn't moved the node for a little while... It could be done.

> Still, I was curious as to what Matthew might have been referring
> to, so I went to examine the Gimp path system again. I think he
> is referring not to Live update, but to the ability to apply
> strokes to Portions of the path before the full thing is finalized
> and then deleted. Basically, in Gimp, I can do this sequence:
> - make a path segment
> - apply stroke (path still there)
> - continue the path
> - apply stroke (path still there)
> - undo the last stroke and edit that one portion of the path if
> the stroke came out wrong, then apply stroke again
> - eventually, go back to previous portions of the path, though
> obviously you can't undo early path strokes unless you delete
> everything that came before
>
> Maybe Matthew wants a command that allows you to apply a stroke
> before finishing the path. Maybe hitting "space" or the likes to
> allow him to apply a stroke on the go, while leaving the path
> intact. This would also allow, as he had said, for a user to
> "repeatedly stroke the same path." It sounds reasonable.

That would a pretty simple interaction change in our old path code
(which we still need to port...) If we would extend KoPathShape
with stroking using Krita brushes instead the path would always be
"live", but you wouldn't be able to stroke, change the path and then stroke
again.

Boudewijn