Brush spacing / rotate / scale

Valerie VK valerie_vk at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 14 14:34:47 CET 2007

> So -- do I understand correctly that having both things would be a Good
Thing
> to have? It should be relatively simple to allow for the
> shape-is-a-ruler-stroke-edit-stroke usecase using the existing
vector
> framework.

Ho! If it is feasible, then yes! To be perfectly honest, I have
yet to see a good implementation of Both functions simultaneously
(though I haven't checked proprietary software in a while. Still...).
Gimp had discussed the possibility of implementing "drawing" layers,
probably because its pure vector functions are rather awkward right
now (at least I think so), but I'm not sure how that plan's been
going. As for vector programs... well they don't much have raster
capabilities.

In the case of Krita, having a vector layer on top of a raster layer
for example could lead to interesting possibilities. You could chose
an object in the vector layer, modify it, then use it to "drop" a
raster line onto the layer below. Doesn't that nearly sound like
on-canvas editable brushes to you? Objects can be modified all you
want, then you have multiple instances dropped onto a raster layer,
the advantage being that with raster, you don't have to keep a
million objects around either. Simple scenario:
- make a star shape
- drag it around while pressing say... "space," to drop multiple
raster copies of it
- modify the star shape and repeat.

Once you're done, you can either keep the vector layer, or hide it.

It can also be used to complement mask layers, making selections
easier.

Though... I'm not sure if the above are the best implementations of
this feature. XD I don't have much experience in attempting to
combine raster and vectors. Matthew, since you started this, what
is your own input on this?