Brush spacing / rotate / scale

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Nov 13 17:52:15 CET 2007

Valerie VK wrote:
> Since Krita has line tool, it doesn't need to take up the Shift
> key for straight lines like with Gimp. So how about assigning it
> to this? It is "smoother" in terms of resizing than pressing a
> key several times.

Line drawing (and more frequently, H/V constraint) with 'shift' is one
PS feature I find very useful, that Krita doesn't have :-(.

> http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/970/interfacefz6.png

I'm used to spacing being per-brush; this is particularly useful when
creating "effect" brushes (especially combined with size/position jitter).

> Still, the general idea is that within the brush editor, the brush
> is treated like an object (vector?) with a box around it so you can
> modify it in real time.

For elliptical brushes, I don't think your illustration works well.
Usually you have three handles; angle, major radius, minor radius. I've
never heard of skewing an elliptical brush; I'm not convinced even
bitmap brushes (hmm, svg brushes? ;-) ) would need to be skewed.

Btw, at some point we are going to have multi-bristle brushes ala
Painter, right? :-) And airbrushes with particle size, proper
scatter/density ("conic sections" anyone?), etc...

> Basically, when drawing art, very precise numerical entries are
> rarely needed.

Huh, for you maybe, I personally like having them (maybe just because I
am bothered by drawing with a 5.1523241 px radius brush ;-) ), but
hiding them in a collapsing section is fine.

--
Matthew
Me: wtf?? "#warning This is temporary since Dec 2000". Seven-year