Mock-ups

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Mon Nov 12 19:37:35 CET 2007

On Monday 12 November 2007, Casper Boemann wrote:
> > tempera in English though sounds way to similar to temper that is to
> > flame and temporary that would lead to a lot of confusion as to if its a
> > perminant
> > thing or not
>
> Tempera doesn't have my vote either. Quite the contrary

Why? It's got several very good points, like strong artistic associations,
connotations with a refined way of painting, easy to pronounce. And even if
one associates it with "temper" the association would be much more of
the "artistic temper" kind (which could be good) than the "temporary"
or "going up in flames" kind. And much less synthetic than Acrylic, which has
also been used as the name for a paint app. Also, this is not the new name
for Krita, but the umbrella name for an application grouping Krita, Karbon
and perhaps other KDE-based artistic applications.

In the end, though, I don't think it is at all possible to get unanimous
agreement on something like a product name. Words have different associations
to different people, especially a group of people with such diverse language
backgrounds as we are. Unfortunately, I also don't think we've got a
decision-making mechanism in place that can replace unanimity, which means
we're stuck.