select all and deselect

Cyrille Berger cberger at cberger.net
Sat May 19 13:09:49 CEST 2007

> I must say I like our abillity to paint a selection, but it gives us
> problems with respect to select all / deselect.
I think we have said that we will remove them :) (see below)

> I propose that:
>
> - All select tools default to replace the selection
yes that way krita behaves like everybody

> - They have a short cut to add or subtract
what does substract on "no-selection" a revert selection ? (would be cool)

> - We have a selection paint mode, or rather that you can choose a selection
> as the current paint device
yes and once it selected, you can paint on it with the normal tools. It ease
the maintaining.

> - That Deselect is removed from the menu
> - That Select All actually removes the selection mask until needed, but
> otherwise the effect should be like you have selected the enitre image.
The major problem we have with select all/deselect is that unlike the gimp or
photoshop we don't show wether a selection is active or not.
I am a bit concern by removing either one, will the user who wants to remove a
selection understand that select all is the same ? and the other way
around ? "Deselect / Select All" won't be good either. But maybe we can find
a name that would match both actions.

> - Cut and copy should be available when there is no selection mask
yes

> - Since Deselect is gone so should Reselect
it should be replace by a docker where the user can store selections he want
to reuse later.

--
Cyrille Berger