select all and deselect

Casper Boemann cbr at boemann.dk
Sat May 19 12:47:04 CEST 2007

we have another usabliity problem regarding selections

The effect of "select all" and "deselect" is exactly the same from users
perspective.

Sure from a programming pespective it's different because one has a selection
mask attached and the other hasn't, but is this a concern of the user?

Why would a user want to select all? It only slows down krita to have a mask
present. Sure we disable cut and copy when no mask is present but that is not
nessesary.

Our problems stems from the fact that when there is no selection we suddenly
decide that all is writable and we use the image as the "current selection".

There is a difference after all: when selecting a rect after having done
select all it doesn't make a difference because it's just added. but if done
when there is no selection it becomes the selection.

This is confusing, and I remember several useres asking a new selection to
default replace the current selection. Just as other image apps do.

I must say I like our abillity to paint a selection, but it gives us problems
with respect to select all / deselect.

I propose that:

- All select tools default to replace the selection
- They have a short cut to add or subtract
- We have a selection paint mode, or rather that you can choose a selection as
the current paint device
- That Deselect is removed from the menu
- That Select All actually removes the selection mask until needed, but
otherwise the effect should be like you have selected the enitre image.
- Cut and copy should be available when there is no selection mask
- Since Deselect is gone so should Reselect

--
best regards / venlig hilsen
Casper Boemann