Initial project for GSoC

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Thu May 17 16:37:42 CEST 2007

On Wednesday 16 May 2007, Emanuele Tamponi wrote:

> Perhaps I didn't understand correctly, I'm writing what I've understood:
> an "overlay" should just "affect" the underlying layer, that holds the
> "real" color data.
> Using Cockshott model, this is easily done because it's exactly like
> that: a "real pigment
> layer" and 3 overlays that alter it using their methods.

Yes, that's right.

> Instead, tvl model "splits" the color data into three different layers,
> so we have not the
> separation between "pigment layer" and "effects overlays".
>
> Did I get it?

Yes, absolutely.

> A possible solution - that "could" make my idea colorspace independent -
> is implementing
> the tvl model as an overlay, that updates an underlying layer, that
> holds the "final data", using
> its own colorspace.

That's definitely an option. It may be a bit difficult in practice, but worth
a try.

> > Btw, I got a hint from a Corel Painter engineer at LGM2: he suggested to
> > solve the undo system problem by just not putting the filter action on
> > the undo stack. Pressing undo would then go back to the last brush
> > stroke. I'm not sure how that would work since then at every brush stroke
> > we'd have to save the old state of the entire layer. But we'd have to do
> > that, too, if we have time-based undo.
>
> I like the engineer's idea too :-) .

Note that it means snapshotting the entire canvas at a brush stroke.

> >> The model assures that the paintop code will not interfere with the
> >> overlay behavior since it's just about
> >> "setting" the initial conditions to the canvas.
> >
> > I don't get that.
>
> I just mean that the brush implementation is separated from the canvas
> implementation, they only contact in the "transfer" of data (pigment,
> water), not in the  physics processes of each other.

That's right, although a brush can include a physics model that perturbs the
data in the canvas according to fluid laws, of course. The paintop does not
implement the drying and dripping physical filters.