PaintDevice/Layer/Mask/Selection/Overlay

Casper Boemann cbr at boemann.dk
Wed May 16 08:13:08 CEST 2007

On Tuesday 15 May 2007 22:40, Schleimer, Ben wrote:
> > A painterly overlay is a mask that is not associated with a filter but
> > specialized to represent a particular physical property like canvas
> > height, canvas absorbency, paint wetness, paint stickiness etc.  It may
> > modify the look of the paint for visualisation purposes. When a physics
> > filter runs modifies the distribution of color in a particular way. When
> > a brush is applied to the paint layer, the brush may take the overlays
> > into account when depositing color (or wetness etc on the overlays). It
> > is Emanuele's gsoc project to implement this.
>
> Um, if these properties are per-pixel, they should probably be a channel in
> the KisPaintDevice. If they are physical properties, overlay may not be the
> best name for them...
I've been thinking the exact same thing. They should not be channels (old
meaning) as we want to "attach" them to every kind of cs, but overlay is
indeed not the best word either as it's not something we put over, but
something we attach to the _side_ of a paintdevice.

A name like KisPainterlyChannels or KisPhysicsChannels would be more
appropriate.
--
best regards / venlig hilsen
Casper Boemann