Not Quite Weekly Status Update for Krita

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Tue Mar 13 20:58:47 CET 2007

Right... There is progress. Not as much as I would like, but much more than
we've been having since the basic port to Qt4 was completed.

* Canvas and redisplay. The QPainter canvas is nearly done. Almost all of
Adrian Page's optimizatins are back. Two issues remain:
  - the display jumps a bit when you're drawing. Casper Boemann is on the
case.
  - selections are still not displayed. Fixing this should be postponed until
the selection redesign is done and we can switch between mask and marching
ant view.

* The OpenGL canvas compiles again but doesn't show anything. I'm afraid I'll
have to ask Adrian to come back and look at what's going on here because I'm
baffled.

* Dynamic brush. Lots of work by Cyrille, but I would like to see a bit of a
design document on the wiki. Would that be possible?

* The Chinese Brush works, in principle. There's some ugliness because the
KisPaintEngine/KisPainter combo isn't really done yet.

* Selections, masks etc. We've had a constructive and productive meeting and
come up with a design outline that we only need to implement:
http://wiki.koffice.org/index.php?title=Krita/SelectionsMasks

* Sven has been porting lots of our tools. Yay! Note that we still need to
bring order in the toolbox. Besides, the layout can get really messed up.
Maybe we should convene a KOffice-wide UI polish hackathon this summer?

* Casper has ported the zoom tool to KOffice libs, pan tool will follow.

* Emanuele has been working on KisPaintEngine and reports progress. He also
expressed interest in doing a SoC project on making all of KOffice use
pigment-based gradients + relevant ui.

* Thomas and Emanuele have been working on shapes and Krita. Krita was already
a shape, and now Krita can embed shapes too. Selecting shapes is a bit
difficult, but that's also related to the stuff we need to do for selections,
masks etc. for the layerbox (because shapes will show up in the layerbox, as
will selections, masks etc.)

* I've bother Bart Coppens again about getting rid of the thread-unsafe
QRegion and replacing it by marking tiles dirty from within the layers. He
thinks he needs to do this together with pyramids, but doubts whether he's
going to find time to get onto this.

* Ben is working on fixing 1.6 for bumpmap and other things and uncovering
both really old and really weird code. We should, frex, refactor our layer
grouping implementation in trunk, it seems :-).

My personal ToDo for the coming time:

* Design for KisPainter/KisPaintEngine. I will do a first design and post it
on the wiki.

* Painterly stuff. We're experimenting and that's fine, but as Casper says, we
need a design. I'll post an initial design with my thoughts on the wiki.

* Fixing the opengl canvas. Not sure whether I actually can do this...

* Finish the experimental opengl filter. Depends on the opengl canvas because
I suspect I need to re-use the same opengl context.

* Start on the selection/mask etc. class hierarchy and integration in the
layerbox. Once the classes and the ui to manipulate exist can we start
looking into the necessary implementation stuff to make them useful.