krita 1.6 SVN branch: Problems with bumpmap and previewwidget

Schleimer, Ben bensch128 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 5 22:28:39 CET 2007

> > Actually, if you want to avoid the cost of doing a scaling operation after
> > evey refresh, then duplicating and scaling the whole layer would be a valid
> > option. However, it's probably overkill. Just the scaling needs to be
> > optimized or even better, we don't do any scaling at all but just clip ala
> > digikam filter preview. That should be the fastest and most reliable.
>
> The big problem here was, if I remember correctly, that we never managed to
> get the scrolling to work correctly when we only showed part of the layer in
> the preview dialog. In 2.0 we plan to do away with the preview dialog
> altogether, but we haven't come up with a good design. (Nor with a good ui
> design: Cyrille wants to do away with the settings dialog, too, instead
> putting the config paramenters in a panel. I'm not sure whether that's going
> to work, although I could imagine a docker at the bottom of the screen with
> the parems.)

Ug, personally, I think that it's a bad idea to radically change the UI like that without solid
mockups and workflow diagrams and usability checks. I saw the picture you or cyrille posted and
I'm not sure I understand how it's supposed to work. But I hope it succeeds.

> In the end I have to admit that I don't really know how to fix this issue the
> best way for 1.6.3. If you want to put in the time to make a working preview
> widget that shows a clipped area of the layer and allows scrolling and
> zooming, then that would be great. But chances are we wouldn't be able to
> re-use it in 2.0, and that means it'd only be used in one release.

Ok, I'll look into because I'm more interested in having a solid release. I just wanted to check
with the list :).

Cheers
Ben

PS. Is anyone dealing with the messed up rotation in 1.6 as well? It really doesn't work at all.
:(