krita 1.6 SVN branch: Problems with bumpmap and previewwidget

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Mon Mar 5 19:35:30 CET 2007

On Monday 05 March 2007, Schleimer, Ben wrote:

> I'm using krita 1.6 from svn and the bumpmap filter definitely does not
> preview properly if you are trying to use another layer as the bumpmap
> image. You can verify this in the code by seeing that the m_parentlayer is
> not copied in KisPaintDevice::KisPaintDevice(const KisPaintDevice& rhs) or
> in
> KisPaintDevice::createThumbnailDevice(Q_INT32 w, Q_INT32 h).

Ah -- I may have been mislead by my testcase.

> Actually, if you want to avoid the cost of doing a scaling operation after
> evey refresh, then duplicating and scaling the whole layer would be a valid
> option. However, it's probably overkill. Just the scaling needs to be
> optimized or even better, we don't do any scaling at all but just clip ala
> digikam filter preview. That should be the fastest and most reliable.

The big problem here was, if I remember correctly, that we never managed to
get the scrolling to work correctly when we only showed part of the layer in
the preview dialog. In 2.0 we plan to do away with the preview dialog
altogether, but we haven't come up with a good design. (Nor with a good ui
design: Cyrille wants to do away with the settings dialog, too, instead
putting the config paramenters in a panel. I'm not sure whether that's going
to work, although I could imagine a docker at the bottom of the screen with
the parems.)

In the end I have to admit that I don't really know how to fix this issue the
best way for 1.6.3. If you want to put in the time to make a working preview
widget that shows a clipped area of the layer and allows scrolling and
zooming, then that would be great. But chances are we wouldn't be able to
re-use it in 2.0, and that means it'd only be used in one release.

Personally, I feel that 2.0 is getting interesting enough that we may want to
put most effort there. In fact, I'm going to look at optimizing the qpainter
canvas & redoing the opengl canvas for trunk now.