Smaller widgets in the palettes

Casper Boemann cbr at boemann.dk
Fri Jun 29 11:55:28 CEST 2007

On Friday 29 June 2007 09:14, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Thursday 28 June 2007, Petr Vanek wrote:
> > hi all,
> >
> > I've read some stuff about Qt graphics apps huge space wasting in the
> > large palettes. Ok, let's look w.g. on adobe gui - they are using some
> > small widgets for their all-time-opened non-modal dialogs.
> >
> > Qt4 offers something simillar easy to implement. Look at this example:
> > http://zope.yarpen.cz/tmp/qt4-adobelike-widgets.tar.gz
> > (qmake -project; qmake; make)
> >
> > Difference is clear. Integration into Qt Designer is easy. Only one cons
> > goes into my mind - what it could do with various OS/font settings/etc.
> >
> > OK, it's just an idea... but any oppinions, thoughts etc?
>
> Interesting -- I hadn't played with stylesheets for Qt widgets yet. KDE 4
> will have a smallestReadableFont setting which we can plug in here -- the
> big issue is, what will removing the margins and padding do to the various
> styles? I couldn't find out whether it was possible to force a certain
> QStyle of KStyle on a widget using a stylesheet, but that could help, too.
As a part time style dev, I would certainly hate if the apps installed their
own style for certain widgets.

Playing with margins to tweak styles is also bad. Playing with margins and
spaces should only be for overall layout.

Better ask the styles devs to use smaller fonts in dockers.

--
best regards / venlig hilsen
Casper Boemann