Filters "dialog" in 2.0

Moritz Moeller mnm at dneg.com
Wed Jun 20 20:23:53 CEST 2007

Cyrille Berger wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 June 2007, Ronan Zeegers wrote:
>> Horizontal Dialog is not something easy to put in shape.
>> The only succesfull horizontal dialog that I know is the one of Blender.
>> But even for Blender, it bring lot's of problem (ie the modifier stack).
>
> The current filter dialog is allready quiet horizontal, with one row for the
> options, one row for the preview (not counting the filter gallery dialog with
> an additional row for selecting filter).

I'd like the opportunity to place a plea for abandoning filters
altogether and going for filter layers instead (basically allowing to
put any filter on an adjustment layer and change it dynamically afterwards).

In terms of UI: one could have a palette which displays the options of
the filter or be able to 'roll out' an adjustment layer in the layers
palette directly like in Adobe AfterEffects.

>> So I vote for keeping the Krita UI spirit here: vertical dialog.
>> Krita could change the current vertical dialog (option, layer) to a
>> filter dialog. Then go back to the default UI after the operation.

> I don't understand what you mean :) Or did you mean hide the left dockers to

I think what he means is to roll out another palette in the right 'stow
bar', as I like to call it, possibly at the at the top. This would
display the filter's options. When the user okays or cancels the filter,
this palette collapses again. This might be confusing, since filters are
currently not dynamic in Krita (hence my pleas above). But palettess on
the right only do display dynamic adjustable document properties as it
stands.
However, if filters all were to become adjustment layers in the future,
one could do this as a 'preparation'/'conditioning' of users to that
UI... ;)

I once, in another life, used to be the product manager of Alias Eclipse
(the same Alias that makes the highend 3D software Maya, well now it's
Autodesk, not Alias, they bought them)...

Eclipse was an imaging app that allowed one to easily compose 4GB multi
layer image files on machines with 128 MB of RAM at the time. I can
elaborate on how it did that (including filters that weren't burned into
the image), if you're interested.

Cheers,

Moritz