A non-working TIFF example

Cyrille Berger cberger at cberger.net
Fri Jul 20 08:45:04 CEST 2007

On Thursday 19 July 2007, you wrote:
> > Well I also use the packages from Ubuntu Feisty and don't have the
> > problem (on a 32bits system).
> >
> > To Ismo, what is your CPU architecture 32bit, 64bit or PPC ?
>
> I'm on a PPC system (Mac Mini G4). Guess I should have mentioned that
> on my first mail, but I didn't understand that there might be
> processor-spesific optimizations (or endianness problems?).
Well there are endianess problem :)

> I'm right
> now compiling the KOffice suite to find out whether the problem goes
> away with my own binaries...

It won't :( The noise you see is typical of a 16bit image opened with
endianess problem.

It's a known problem in fact, opening jpeg is also problematic. I think only
the png filter works perfectly fine on PPC. So a solution could be to convert
from tiff to png using the command-line convert (it should be lossless) and
then open the resulting png in krita.

I can't make any promise for better day of opening files on PPC.

--
Cyrille Berger