Thoughts on recording and collaborative editing in Krita

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Mon Feb 19 09:29:10 CET 2007

On Monday 19 February 2007, Sven Langkamp wrote:
> On 2/18/07, Cyrille Berger <cberger at cberger.net> wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I have been playing with recording events in Krita (see
> > viewplugins/together),
> > and I have put my thoughts on the wiki
> > http://wiki.koffice.org/index.php?title=Krita/Recording_and_Collaborative
> >_working_Design
> >
> > I wanted to have your opinion on this ?
>
> Some filters and brushes are not deterministic and would still need to
> transmit the whole tile information.

I think that that's not a problem for most use-cases for recording actions:
you want to apply the brush or filters with the chosen parameters to all
images in a set, so the tile information isn't relevant.

> Collaborative working would also be an interesting project for the soc.

Yes, indeed.

> > Also, when looking at commands in Krita, I find it messy between commands
> > inherinting KisCommand, others directly KDE's classes. Btw, does someone
> > knows if KCommand is supposed to go away in KDE4 ?
>
> There are a few messy things in the current undo system in Krita.
> There are two independent undo stacks, KisCommand doesn't inherit from
> QUndoCommand and the recursive nature of the undoAdapter is pretty
> confusing, at least for me.
>
> KOffice as a whole is moving to QUndoCommand, so I don't see a reason
> why KCommand should be used.

It's another refactor... I don't think we should start on that until the
canvas, progress, colorspace, tool and filter config refactorings are done,
as well as a couple of the new features we need.