KOffice status survey

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Tue Dec 4 17:05:47 CET 2007

On Tuesday 04 December 2007, Inge Wallin wrote:
> Hi people,
>
> We were discussing the tagging of the next alpha together with KDE 4.0RC2
> on IRC today, and the topic of the current status of KOffice came up.  It
> turns out that nobody really knows the full status, so we decided to do a
> little survey.
>
> Would the maintainers of each component please reply to this mail in the
> mailing list and state here:
>  * which features that are still not implemented, but which you want for
> 2.0?

There are no items in
http://wiki.koffice.org/index.php?title=KOffice2/Goals#Krita or
http://wiki.koffice.org/index.php?title=KOffice2/Releases#Krita that still
need to be started. The painterly infrastructure is currently undergoing a
complete rewrite (the fifth or sixth, I think), so that may well not be in
2.0, or only in a wayback-machined form. The thread-save, garbage-collecting,
compressing tile backend is again being worked on, but may be too late for
2.0. But all planned features and then some have had their implementation
started.

Some things, like pigment, general filter infrastructure, painting
infrastructure are in pretty good shape already. Many of the improvements in
Krita trunk are really good and impressive, even though Krita trunk as a
whole still isn't quite usable.

> * which features that exist, but are still far from usable?

Important things left are:

* layer/masks/nodes: the library side works, but the gui side needs a lot of
work still. The menu side is practically implemented, I need to do the
properties and the layerbox. (Note to self: why is the thumbnail inverted
nowadays?)

* flake layers: it used to work, but is broken right now, partly because of
the above, partly needs investigation.

* krita shape: depending on the above, plus some thought about which tools
would be most useful.

* filters: the on-screen preview stopped working, for the rest, thanks to
Cyrille's fix yesterday, filters should work, though the dialog still needs
gui work. When that's done, it's going to be easy to add filters to the krita
image shape.

* the image size/resolution dialog needs polish

* the krita part of the toolbox needs organizing again

* need to make the chinese brush draw anti-aliased lines & fix up the paintop
gui.

There will be some regressions in 2.0 vis-a-vis 1.6:

* probably no RAW filter
* no brush-shaped outline cursor
* no tablet configuration

All in all, I think we're in a pretty good shape: I'm confident that if we
keep working like we've been working in the past month or so, we'll have a
very impressive release.