What do you think of the "Pixel image editor"?

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Apr 9 17:03:57 CEST 2007

Cyrille Berger wrote:
>> To the devs, why is MDI so bad again? Was it the previous KMDI framework or
>> is there something fundementally broken with the interface?
> Yes the previous KMDI framework was broken, that's why it wasn't even ported.
> And the reason MDI is not a good idea is that good windows management is
> difficult to do right, and on linux and KDE we have a very good external
> windows manager. The reason why MDI is so popular on windows (and only on
> windows), is that windows window manager is a piece of crap.

That works as long as you stick to the one-document-per-top-level-window
and *correctly* use docking tool areas. This is however one area in
which I absolutely hate GIMP/Inkscape. IMO, a: MDI is *not* a bad idea,
and b: it is popular on Windows because it is well integrated and well
implemented. But I guess the trend is to tabs, which is OK for some
things, but means opening a separate window if you need to see two
things at once :-(.

Has anyone considered implementing KMDI by leveraging the external
window manager in an sub-desktop? I... can't think of a better idea than
this. It's perfect. :-) But I don't know if it can be done.

> It's not in the context of MDI, it's "general". The window manager of windows
> is limited to minimize/maximize and on one (virtual) desktop. /Which means
> that if you have more than 5 windows, your tasks bar and desktop is crowded,
> and it becomes even harder to find the window with which you want to work./
(emphasis added)

Well I guess that makes GIMP/Inkscape automatically "crap". Which I
already knew. :-) *Please* don't go here with Krita.

--
Matthew
If you believe you received this e-mail in error, you are probably sadly