Patch review for optimization in paintop

Cyrille Berger cberger at cberger.net
Wed Sep 27 15:37:41 CEST 2006

> > Can anyone have a look at this patch ? It optimized greatly paintop
>
> I didn't actually test it, but it looks ok. Just to make sure: if the
> profile is different, the m_dab will be recreated as well, right?
hum good question, doesn't the colorspace changes as well ?

> > Now, computeDab is still the expensive function for paintop (with 40% of
> > its cost coming from creating/destroying iterators :'( ).
>
> I think it'd be pretty easy to rewrite computeDab to use a rect iterator
> instead of maskHeight times a HLine one.
of course using KisHLineIterator::nextRow reduces the cost greatly :) great,
with this new version of the patch, it becomes really hard to lose the mouse
cursor. Now 70% of the time is spend in the ++ operations, but that's too
late for trying optimizations on it in 1.6.

> But iirc, what really slows down
> stuff is the rescaling (at >100%) of the mask when pushing your tablet to
> 100% pressure (which will make the dab bigger with the default options).
> Especially noticeable with big brush sizes iirc.
hum I don't have my tablet with me, I will try it tonight.