GPL v2+, GPL v2, GPL v3, LGPL v2, LGPL v2+ ?

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Wed Sep 6 11:30:15 CEST 2006

On Wednesday 6 September 2006 09:11, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> Imagine a new etch-a-sketch toy that embeds GPLv2
> Krita. The makers of the toy could make it impossible for owners of the
> toy to install and run a new version of Krita by using cryptography,
> even while complying with all rules by allowing their version as source
> download.)

#include<INaL>
I spent a lot of time on these issues and this is a real life case how v3
applies to us.

The DRM part;

An etch-a-sketch maker releases a tool that has a good looking front end
for his product but is using some of Kritas code underwater.
The code being GPL he releases all his changes on the website for us to
port upstream if we want.

Using v2;
Company releases an etch-a-sketch on the internal compact-flash card but
there is a DRM going on which disallows me to boot the device if I change
something on it. So I am unable to alter the GPLed code on the device.
The device has a way to write its files; does so in .kra format. No
encryption.

Using v3
Company is not allowed to make the GPL parts unmodifiable so he allows you
to update everything on the compact flash you want.
The company has a little feature in its etch-a-sketch that allows the
company to see if the version is different from the shipped version. If
it is, then you loose your warranty.
The device has a way to write its files; does so in .kra format. No
encryption.

The Patent part;

Using v2
Same company added some GPL code to the Krita sources. They release the
diffs, but point out that we can't use that code in our upstream since
the toymaker patented it.
They release the etch-a-sketch with this feature and if you want to
replace the software on the compact flash card you will be forced to do
so without the patented feature. Loosing functionality in your 'upgrade'.

Using v3
Same company added some GPL code to the Krita sources. They release the
diffs.
Since the company wants to use Krita on its device they loose all rights
to enforce the patent and Krita can therefor use the patented diffs as
soon at the company has released at least one version of its
etch-a-sketch.

--
Thomas Zander