GPL v2+, GPL v2, GPL v3, LGPL v2, LGPL v2+ ?

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Wed Sep 6 10:57:23 CEST 2006

On Wednesday 06 September 2006 10:36, Cyrille Berger wrote:
> it's the other way around :
> "The Corresponding Source also includes any encryption or authorization
> keys necessary to install and/or execute modified versions from source code
> in the recommended or principal context of use, such that they can
> implement all the same functionality in the same range of circumstances.
> (For instance, if the work is a DVD player and can play certain DVDs, it
> must be possible for modified versions to play those DVDs. If the work
> communicates with an online service, it must be possible for modified
> versions to communicate with the same online service in the same way such
> that the service cannot
> distinguish.) "
>
> If in krita we include a key to read .kra files, then the toy maker has to
> include the same key to read them. But they can perfectly add a key
> to .kratoy.

I think you read that wrong: their hardware (dvd player) must be able to run
modified versions of the software and modified versions of the software must
be able to load data from their version. They are not allowed to lock out
other people from modifying their code and running it on their hardware.

> > I don't like having different licenses for different parts of Krita. As
> > long as it's just plugins and all of the plugin has a single license
> > that's compatible with the core of Krita, I'd grudgingly agree. But
> > having two kinds of licenses in krita/image and krita/ui sounds like a
> > legal impossibility to me.
>
> That's sad, that would effectively prevents me to be willing to work on
> krita/image and krita/ui.

I seriously doubt you can have two licenses in the source that produce a
single binary -- but then, I'm not a lawyer.