new icones

Torsten Rahn (KDE) rahn at kde.org
Tue Sep 5 14:38:46 CEST 2006

On Tuesday, 5. September 2006 13:48, Casper Boemann wrote:
> What I just wanted to say is that doing a change now into 1.6 and changing
> again in 2.0 is not very consistant. We should not do this without
> consideration.

Better toolbar icons are definetely an important issue that shouldn't be
postponed as good looks is especially important for an application that tries
to advertise to graphics designers & artists. Our target users are really
picky about the looks of an application they are using. They simply won't
like to use it unless the appearance doesn't look as professional as the
functionality behind.
The toolbar icons that we currently have are an improvement over the previous
ones, but they are still severiously lacking compared to the ones that have
been posted a few days ago.

My bet is that 2.0 will be about a year after 1.6, so that's a pretty long
time. And given that the icon metaphors will still be identical I don't see
any problem there either.
If this was about the application icon I would agree with you, that changing
it too often is a valid concern. However with toolbar icons this isn't as
much of a problem - especially taking the quality improvement into account.

Torsten