Adrian on Painters and Qt4

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Sat Sep 2 10:30:25 CEST 2006

On Friday 01 September 2006 21:40, Cyrille Berger wrote:
> Talking with Emanuele about this on irc remind me of something. Will this
> allow us to have a better system for the visualisation helper we have for
> tools ? (which is quiete sometimes buggy for no real reason, which doesn't
> work at all on NX session, I am not sure how well it works on standard
> display) and only allows to display using XOR. For instance, in the
> perspective grid tools, I would like to add icons on the grid (one for
> deleting the sub grid, one other to select subgrid who should have the same
> vanishing points...).

Not without us designing for that. It's a good point, though. I think the
current painter design was primarily designed for the image itself.

We need three planes:

* image (including flake layers)
* visualisation (selections, masks, wetness, grids)
* maniplation plane (icons, rubber bands, vectors, control nodes, annotations)

If you want to add icons and bands and so, then maybe we should use
QGraphicsView  for the manipulation plane. I'm also not sure at the moment
what the rest of the KOffice apps will do -- they surely have the same
requirements for the manupilation plane and the same limitation that we can
only paint in the paintEvent.