openraster - openexr?

Cyrille Berger cberger at cberger.net
Fri Oct 20 12:31:47 CEST 2006

On Friday 20 October 2006 11:31, Tom M wrote:
> Or if OpenEXR has been examined is there somewhere discussing the
> rationale against using it as a basis?

The biggest reason is that metainformation is done in binary, OpenRaster is
really the first file (I have heard) format to completely save the
metainformation in XML. (of course the data of the pixels will be saved as a
binary)

So why XML for metainformation is much better ?
 - it's more easily extensible
 - it's more readeable without extra knowledge (just open the zip file and you
have access to all the meta information)
 - you can apply xslt transformation to it, or add information without to
depend on a specific library. Or edit the text of text layer.

That said, it might be interesting to "steal" their storage of pixels :)
And for the XML part, we are taking as much as possible of outside standard,
TinySVG, a subset of ODT for text layer, XMP...

--
--- Cyrille Berger ---