rename brightness/contrast filter

Sander Koning sanderkoning at kde.nl
Thu Oct 12 14:52:27 CEST 2006

Casper Boemann wrote on 2006-10-12 14:25 +0200 regarding Re: rename brightness/contrast filter:
> I like the first one (without the s)
> Brightness / contrast curve
>
> [snip]
>
> > Here is a few proposition:
> > - brightness / contrast curves
> > - brightness adjustement curves
> > - constrast adjustement curves
> > - lightness (adjustement) curves

Hi all,

I think that renaming the filter is not the only thing that is needed if people
really can't find it. I don't see much difference between "a brightness and
contrast filter" and "brightness and contrast curves", or "contrast adjustment
curves" for that matter. It's a different name for the same rose.

If you really want the filter to be obvious to everyone, more radical steps are
needed, perhaps even making it visible somewhere outside the Filters menu.  The
Filters menu is a good place to store effects like this - at least for the ones
acquainted with graphics processing and painter applications, like you and me.
But it may not be the place where everyone looks for them. From Cyrille's post,
I read that too many people can't find this feature and I don't think that
simply renaming it will help them find it all of a sudden.

I noticed that between 1.5 and 1.6 a number of filters were moved between
categories. It might be that we have to investigate where people would look to
find effects like this and rethink the idea of putting everything together in
one Filters menu... Perhaps that the new UI offers other possibilities to make
these effects easy to find?

Cheers,

--
Sander Koning  (askie)   |   sanderkoning - at - kde -.- nl
KDE Nederland            |   http://www.kde.nl/