Floating point color in Krita

Mikhail Lyossin mlesin at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 15:46:10 CET 2006

Hi there,

I've found that Krita is working with floating point image formats, I was
amazed it does it in a true linear space with a tone mapping to see it on
computer display (that's a good point).

 * But I was surprised when I see that numbers in color selector are still
like I work with 8-bit image, i.e. integer 0-255 range, without any ability
to move out of that range...
I was expected to see there something like 0.0-1.0 floating point range,
with ability to set values more then that, like 2.50, 3.12, 10.85 etc.. Is
that planned to change in a future releases?

 * Also, some susggestions about tonemapping (exposure and gamma control) -
It should apply to every color we see in Krita, at least for every color
that interacts with the image is beeing edited. For example, if I paint
something in out-of-the-range region (like in 2.0-4.0), I prefer to set
exposure to -2..-3 f-stops, and I expect exposure to be applied not only in
the main image area, but also in color selector area, in all plugins preview
areas and so on.

--
WBW, Mike

P.S. I am working as a technical director in a company that produces visual
effects for a movies, and we are glad to see Krita advances in a directions
we really need (floating point image editor working in a linear space). So
please keep up good work, and we will try to help you as much as we can.