Move to graphicsmagick

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Fri May 26 22:21:42 CEST 2006

On Fri, 26 May 2006, John R. Culleton wrote:

> So we have a application, Krita, which is supposedly part of a
> gui package, KDE, that may or may not work, depending on whether
> or not the maker of the distribution has included graphicsmagick.

Just to make really, one hundred percent clear the problem: ImageMagick
is wider spread, BUT: it does not guarantee any kind of API stability.
I have already spent more than forty hours just keeping up with point
releases of ImageMagick (meaning a change from x.y.1 to x.y.2) -- this
kind of volatility is not sustainable. GraphicsMagick is committed to
API stability: Krita requiring it will simply mean that distributions
will start packaging GraphicsMagick, too. We've got that much clout,
nowadays.

In sum: moving to GraphisMagic will reduce problems for us and our users.
And personally, I am sure we won't keep the ImageMagick variant of the
file filter code around in 2.0.

Boudewijn