UI improvement : removing use of dialog

BERGER Cyrille cberger at cberger.net
Thu May 18 12:01:28 CEST 2006

Hello,

I don't know how many amongs you read kde-core-devel@, but this week
there was an interesting threads on "increasing the usability of
search dialogs"
(http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=114767284308670&w=2). And it
has been long time, that I was thinking that it might be a good idea
for filters.

Here is how it could look :
http://lepi.org/~cyb/krita/krita-filter-newdialogtype.png

And when you change the value, the preview is shown directly on the
canvas, and you can zoom, pan, with the normal tools.

But there are a few problems :
- slowliness of the updating of the preview, on the other hand, using
something multithreaded might help and we allready have the problem
with the current dialog
- and some widget are big, and can't be cutted to fit horizontally
like : http://lepi.org/~cyb/krita/krita-filter-newdialogtype.png, so
having them at the bottom would look ridiculous, so why not vertical ?
Because it's allready overcrowded, and boud allready told me that he
didn't want docker to be hidden automatically by krita, even if I
think it would be nice (who need the color chooser when applying a
filter, or when using the duplicate tool ? whereas more usefull
information could be displayed, but that an other debat)

So any ideas, thoughts or opinions ?

--
Cyrille Berger