Krita, Ruby and Slackware

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Thu May 11 21:23:58 CEST 2006

On Thursday 11 May 2006 21:15, John R. Culleton wrote:
> I have never had much luck with Krita on my Slackware Linux
> system. Today I was playing with it once again and I got the
> message "unknown interpreter: Ruby." A little googling around
> showed that Slack doesn't have Ruby. So I downloaded Rubby and
> did the usual ./configure, make, make test and make install routine.
> Unfortuntely Krita still doesn't find Ruby. But if I put
> ruby --help
> n a command line it executes OK.
>
> Do I have to reboot? Recompile Krita? What?

Ruby isn't really necessary -- it's just one of the two interpreters for
scripts. If you don't need scripting, you can safely skip
krita/plugins/viewplugins/scripting. I'm not familiar enough with Slackware
anymore (afraid I jumped ship in 1998 or so), but I seem to remember that
Slackware doesn't split packages into devel and runtime. That said, perhaps
Ruby needs something special done so the library we link to is created.
Anyway, I'm don't know, so I'm cc'ing koffice-devel, where Sebastian Sauer no
doubt knows what's going on :-).