I introduce myself

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Tue Mar 7 11:58:53 CET 2006

On Tue, 7 Mar 2006, Leonardo Giordani wrote:

> > The best way to get started is to hack on something. If, for instance,
> > you'd like to work on a spectral colorspace (let's say, 20 or so sampled
> > frequency bands (if that's the right word)), then that should be very
> > possible. A fun thing to do is a dynamic brush plugin -- one that takes
> > input from several parameters and does proper brush hair deformation
> > modelling. There are lots of papers around about both issues; and it should
> > be fairly straightforward to hack an implementation that works in Krita.
> > Getting it optimized is harder.
>
> Both topics are interesting: do you alredy know where to find papers/infos
> about them? If not I can ask Google.

The best introduction is Gooch & Gooch on Non-Photorealistic Rendering. That
has got a good chapter on simple brush dynamics. Salesin et al introduced
using a spectrometer to figure out how to properly mix colors in their paper
http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/curtis97computergenerated.html. This is available
on-line, but if you cannot find it I can mail you the pdf as soon as I'm home.
The most impressive results can be found in Bill Baxter's articles and thesis
Plus, Bill Baxter is a very good and clear writer:
http://www.billbaxter.com/projects/index.html. A large overview of the
field is given at http://www.red3d.com/cwr/npr/.

Have fun!

Boudewijn