OpenDocument. Was: Photoshop PSD 6 format Spec / Gimp XCF format Spec

Thomas Zander zander32 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 06:06:46 CET 2006

On Friday 03 March 2006 22:31, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
> I wonder why OASIS picked to only use compressed XML as a medium:
> -it will also not work well for video data, BTW.
> -OpenOffice.org Base already failed to deliver robust solution because
> 100% of the data has to be processed on loading/saving (unless it's
> stored on the server).

This has nothing to do with the chosen file format and everything to
do with the implementation.
Zip is block based and you can do partial (un)compression.
XML need not be parsed 100% for it to be usable.
There are applications that can read some items from a huge XML
without parsing all, or even most of it. I know this for a fact, I
wrote a few.

In short; these worries should not effect the standardization efforts.
--
Thomas Zander