Kritacolor library re-licensing

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Fri Jun 23 13:10:42 CEST 2006

On Friday 23 June 2006 12:17, Cyrille Berger wrote:
> > > My concern is that corporation will choose to
> > > support the project that is the more friendly to them
> >
> > Making the conclusion that companies want to sell plugins for gimp
> > instead of for krita, right?
>
> My conclusion are based on the fact, that companies currently preferre
> gnome over kde,

You are mixing things up.
They are developing for GTK. Not Gnome.  This is equivalent to people
developing for Qt, not KDE.  With that little data point the 'prefer'
falls down since there are many many people that Trolltech gets money
from to develop for. Why do you think they just opened another office in
Berlin?  Not because everyone is going for GTK, for sure :)

> because they can develop for gnome for free,

The companies that are indeed developing for GTK have very different
reasons for doing so. The free part has nothing to do with it. People
that are actually in that scene told me so personally.
Please don't base your conclusions on FUD coming from slashdot like
sites :)

>. Companies
> don't choose what is better, but what is more friendly to them.
No, they choose based on a political discussions and the environment is
currently in GTKs favor. I'm pretty sure that things will even out sooner
later then later. They are changing as we speak. The recently released
version of Linux Standard Base has the Qt toolkit in there for the first
time. This is pretty significant.

> > If companies like www.ilm.com choose Krita because it is the only
> > open source thing out there that is able to do what they want (just
> > making this up,
>
> good example actually, ilm is behind openexr, and they released openexr
> as open source. So yes, we have every reason to be friendly toward
> companiers, they can give us good things in return ;)

Hang on; using LGPL explicitly grants them the option to NOT give us
anything back.
You just opened the door for them to walk out with all their toys. That
can't be the idea here.
--
Thomas Zander