Kritacolor library re-licensing

Cyrille Berger cberger at cberger.net
Fri Jun 23 12:17:54 CEST 2006

> > My concern is that corporation will choose to
> > support the project that is the more friendly to them
>
> Making the conclusion that companies want to sell plugins for gimp instead
> of for krita, right?
My conclusion are based on the fact, that companies currently preferre gnome
over kde, because they can develop for gnome for free, even if (personnal
opinion) the kde/qt plateform (not speaking of ui here, strictly speaking
from a developer view point) is better. Companies don't choose what is
better, but what is more friendly to them. And having companies writting
plugins (even closed one) for krita won't kill krita, it will bring free
advertisement. And it is likely that open source and free plugins will
prevail.

> Why is that a problem, exactly?
>
> If companies like www.ilm.com choose Krita because it is the only open
> source thing out there that is able to do what they want (just making
> this up,
good example actually, ilm is behind openexr, and they released openexr as
open source. So yes, we have every reason to be friendly toward companiers,
they can give us good things in return ;)
And true, sony support developement of cinepaint even if it's under GPL.

But what I want is to avoid closing doors.

--
--- Cyrille Berger ---