Kritacolor library re-licensing

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Thu Jun 22 15:54:46 CEST 2006

On Thursday 22 June 2006 15:51, Cyrille Berger wrote:
> > The big issue is, of course, plugins. Do we allow closed-source plugins
> > to link to our GPL application, or not? That may make some difference in
> > commercial support, building an ecosystem around Krita and all that.
>
> well I want it :) but that's a personnal opinion, but  GPL prevent it,
> while LGPL allows it, but I would be perfectly happy with just an exception
> for plugins.
>
> Note, that I don't want plugins to be LGPLed, nor the UI. There is
> absolutely no reason for that.

I am ambivalent about plugins: on the one hand I don't care too much, and I
value an rich set of plugins as much as the next person, on the other hand,
being GPL hasn't prevented the Gimp from gaining many plugins. On the
gripping hand again, I want to read the code of cool plugins and learn from
it...