Kritacolor library re-licensing

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Thu Jun 22 08:36:23 CEST 2006

On Thursday 22 June 2006 02:17, Clarence Dang wrote:

> 1. Do you really want to prevent a closed-source application from simply
> linking to the Krita graphics library?
>
> 2. Isn't it sufficient to just keep the Krita graphics library open but
> allow closed-source apps to link?

I had the same discussion with David Faure a while ago. He argued that it
would be nice to receive bug fixes from the companies who did closed source
development based on an LGPL krita image library. Which I wouldn't get if
krita's image lib were GPL.

However, I'm available as a professional software developer for working closed
source applications for E120 an hour (my boss just bumped up my fee). I'm
also idealistic enough to work on free software for free. I'm not fool enough
to work on closed source software for free. I don't get warm fuzzies from the
idea that company X might use my work for their prestigious closed-source
application Y for free.

No doubt commercial licensing terms can be worked out for krita's image
library, for instance by estimating the worth using sloccount and determining
a realistic fee, the proceeds of which can then be used to further Krita, but
it'd be a completely commercial thing, not charity.

> If your answer to 1. is yes, then a loophole for closed-source applications
> would be to "derive" from BSD KolourPaint, just to use the Krita graphics
> library :)

I think the exception would be worded to prevent it being applicable to
derivations. And it would be something everyone would agree to.