Kritacolor library re-licensing

Clarence Dang dang at kde.org
Thu Jun 22 02:17:00 CEST 2006

On Wednesday 21 June 2006 22:11, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 June 2006 14:10, Clarence Dang wrote:
> > On Friday 16 June 2006 21:32, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > > Small to non-existent. I prefer GPL above LGPL myself -- this
> > > relicensing is just to conform to KOffice rules, not out of any real
> > > desire to do so on my part. And I'm not the only GPL zealot in Krita's
> > > team :-)
> >
> > Sorry, I mean the graphics library part of Krita, not the application.
> > Would there be any chance of relicensing that?
>
> Yes, I understood that -- it's quite unlikely. The colorspace code is
> written by a relatively small number of people, the image library code has
> had a larger number of contributions, making it harder. And, I'm not a fan
> of lgpl even for libraries myself. Cyrille is, Bart isn't -- the positions
> are divided.

1. Do you really want to prevent a closed-source application from simply
linking to the Krita graphics library?

2. Isn't it sufficient to just keep the Krita graphics library open but allow
closed-source apps to link?

> What we could do is add an exception clause for Kolourpaint, I think nobody
> would object to that.

If your answer to 1. is yes, then a loophole for closed-source applications
would be to "derive" from BSD KolourPaint, just to use the Krita graphics
library :)