Yet again: Tablet Troubles (Or: is Bart losing his mind?)

Bart Coppens kde at bartcoppens.be
Sun Jun 18 20:42:33 CEST 2006

Warning beforehand: it's completely possible that it's just my XOrg config
being screwed up by me, so if that's the case, sorry already =(

It's that time of the year again: I'm having problems with my tablet and
Krita. Yesterday I finally added the eraser lines to my XOrg config, to see
how nice that works: being able to switch between tools. Unfortunately, it
doesn't work like I imagined it would, and an afternoon of debugging didn't
help either. So I reverted all the files back and rebuilt Krita so that I
have an almost vanilla (some irrelevant files still changed). From that
Krita, I made the rest of the mail.

I nicely filmed my problems, as to show there's at least _something_ broken.

Film 1: http://www.bartcoppens.be/kritatablet.avi (1.2M)
Switching from erasor -> stylus does not work.
What is shown in the movie:
* Start Krita
* Paint with Stylus
* Switch to Eraser, paint with it
* Switch back to Stylus
-> _Problem 1_: The Paintop Dropdown box does _not_ show the tablet options,
it shows the default, mouse one. (Debugging seemed to suggest that, indeed,
Krita thought it was the mouse being switched to, but I'm not sure anymore).
* Try painting with Stylus
-> _Problem 2_: Painting does _not_ paint anymore. Trying to paint results in
random lines being drawn, switching back to eraser and back a few times
usually solves this.
* Undo all painting done so far
-> _Problem 3_: Those random lines show up, with only the tiles that were
actually painted on being undone.

Film 2: http://www.bartcoppens.be/kritatablet2.avi (1.7M)
If the last problem was weirdening you out already, you haven't seen the big
one. This problem sometimes transcends sequential instantiations of Krita.
The big problem is that it seems to happen rather haphazardly, so I had to
try rather much before I had actually filmed this one. What is shown:
* Start Krita
* Paint with the Eraser
* Trigger Problem 1 again by switching to Stylus and drawing
* As you can see, moving the cursor over the toolbar switches from and to
tablet mode, without actually changing to the mouse.
* In that state, quit Krita
* Start Krita again, _with the mouse_ as current device
-> _Problem 4_: Notice how when you move the mouse over the toolbar, it
switches back to stylus mode! In fact, I can't paint at all, except for the
random weird lines (sometimes the eraser mysteriously works). This is a bit
like the first film, but harder to get out of it again :-/

If this is a non-Krita problem, perhaps it'd be nice to mention this in the
manual or so. If it is a Krita problem, I'd appreciate any insights ;-(

Bart