The future of selections and masks in Krita

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Mon Jul 31 23:15:17 CEST 2006

Hi boud!

First of all; do you agree on the use cases?  Did we miss anything?
We _concluded_ a solution from them, but if another solution satisfies the
usescases and even other usecases, the ideas can change.
Another theory is just fine, as long as the usecases are satisfied.

On Monday 31 July 2006 22:55, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> I stand by what I have written in the todo for 2.0 about selections,
> and what we discussed during the Krita hackathon: one or more
> masks/selections (there is no difference) per layer that can be copied
> and moved between layers.

Ok, I'll ask the guys to explain that to me tomorrow.

> I do not think that is complex: not more complex than making an
> artificial distinction between selections and masks. The case for
> "unconventional" for Arthur here simply boils down to "cannot use my
> photoshop manual with Krita".
>
> I think that nothing can be simpler than having just one mechanism for
> selecting pixels; making that visually explicit by showing the
> selection mask in the layer box and making it possible to manipulate it
> exactly like a layer (copying, pasting, painting, filling, moving up &
> down).

So, you are suggesting that a selection has an effect on the transparancy
of the layer?
Or how will the user see the difference between a selection and a mask?
I kind of had the impression the idea you and I had were kind of the same,
but the presentation to the user was slightly different.
Ok, I'll ask the guys to explain the design you referenced above to me
tomorrow :)

> I have not seen a usecase for a global selection: I certainly have not
> seen one where it is less complex to add functionaly to convert between
> masks and a global selection.

There actually was one :)
Here is another one;
Extending the usecase already given; we have a user with 3 layers.  He
creates a selection around an item in the document. Like a trafficlight.
He then uses that over the 3 different layers to paint in the alpha layer
with a low density brush and get just the right balance of the different
items from the different exposures.

And one from personal experience;
Take a photo with an elk; then create a mask around an animal so thats the
only thing you see on that layer.
Besides using that elk itself ones or twice I want to do a theme and I
want to have that same outline recurring in the picture itself but then
all black.  So I create a selection based on the transparancy of the
layer that holds my elk.
I create a new layer and use the selection to fill one or two elks in
different places.
--
Thomas Zander