Fwd: krita cvs with 16 bit individual color channel adjustment CMYK, etc.?

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Mon Jan 2 15:51:43 CET 2006

On Monday 02 January 2006 15:50, Bart Coppens wrote:
> On Monday 02 January 2006 15:33, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > I thought that we already had a color adjustment filter that worked with
> > other colorspaces than RGB, but I cannot find it anymore. Does anyone
> > know about the status of it?
>
> We had, until last week. I recall using it Friday evening, I think, and
> Sunday it was suddenly gone (including all other Adjust -> Adjust entries,
> only Variations is there)! My guess is that somebody accidentally disabled
> it in the Makefile.am?
>
> (I'm not CC'ing to lmarso at gmail.com since you didn't either, but I guess
> you'll inform him when it's fixed?)

I already told him we will fix it, but I wanted to be sure. He also had the
following to say, where I didn't quite get what he wanted with the averaged
color-under-mouse measurements:

On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 1:40 am, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> When Krita is stable again, the color adjustment won't have to go back
> to 8 bits rgb, it will work natively on all colorspaces that are backed
> by lcms -- that means rgb, cmyk, lab, grayscale in 8 and 16 bits.

A remarkable achievement.  Cinepaint sort of does that, but misses the
subtleties of lab colorspace, where the curve tool needs effectively to
be inverted, as its done in photoshop, to provide an accurate
manipulation.  More important than this, a tool that provides area
averaged color-under-mouse measurements in real time are essential to
understand where manipulations are needed.  The latter is sorely
lacking, to, in cinepaint.

I'm keen to engineer a linux solution to dan margolis' "lab photoshop
color".  I'm amazed that krita is getting there first.