student research project and krita

Florian Merz FlorianMerz at gmx.de
Thu Feb 23 16:04:40 CET 2006

Hi everybody,

I have to do some kind of research project/seminal paper for university
(Studienarbeit in german) and I thought maybe I can use this to get into
krita development if I can find a suitable subject.

The project should be worth about three months of work but I guess about
half of the time is needed for preparations, writing the paper and creating
a presentation so it would probably sum up to about one and a half month of
coding work. As far as I know most students need more time than those three
months (some even up to a year) so this is not exactly a hard limit.

I'm writing to this list because I wanted to ask if anyone of you knows
about a suitable subject to write about which might result in an
interesting feature for krita. The subject should have to do with image
processing and be of some theoretical/research interest otherwise it
probably won't get accepted. This is not a thesis so it doesn't have to be
something completely new but some new aspects (to some other research
project/paper) would be nice to have.

I know that the krita team is especially interested in the simulation of
real painting but I don't know if anything in this direction would be of
interest for my prof so I would be glad for some other suggestions, too.

Regards,
 Florian

p.s: I'm not afraid of math and some impressive formulas (for the
presentation) are always welcome ;)