Going the wrong way?

m0ns00n m0ns00n at gmx.net
Fri Feb 17 19:13:25 CET 2006

Hey!

I really like many of Kritas features, but have you guys stopped and thought
for a moment that persuing PhotoShop and Paintshop Pro as the ideal paint
program is a bit premature? There are other examples which in my opinion are
much better as paint apps:

 * TVPaint / Aura
 * DPaint / GRFX2 / Brilliance (the roots of many paint apps)
 * Painter
 * Mirage

Also, making gfx is hard when one has to use a huge interface with several
mouse click just to change tool and settings. I use lighten/darken alot and I
don't see why I need to use a dark and light color as foreground/background
to get an effect. Isn't the opacity setting enough to set the emphasis? And I
use alot of pixel techniques. Why can't I use a 1x1 pixel brush with guassian
blur? That's been possible with ancient paint apps for ever, but new apps
seemingly can't do it (photoshop, gimp...).
And where's animation support? It's so basic to implement, just like layers,
only horizontally. Onionskin wouldn't be harder than layer transparancy.
Think outside Gimp and PSD! =)

One of the reasons many people hate and loathe Gimp is the huge interface that
gets in your way, you should think a bit about this when making the interface
of Krita ;-)

Other than that, I am having great hopes about this project. Finally something
that at least aims to be more than an image processor!

Hogne