Krita 1.6: my proposal

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Mon Feb 6 20:22:40 CET 2006

On Monday 06 February 2006 20:08, Cyrille Berger wrote:

(I do wonder why kmail 1.5 sometimes completely messes up messages...)

> > * Krita 2.0 -- porting to Qt4 starts as soon as it's possible to run an>
> > application, say, konqueror, on kdelibs4 without crashing.

> erf konqueror 1.5 still crash, so it would never happen ;)

Well, you know what I mean here, right?

> > * Krita 1.6 -- to be
> > released in September.>   - This is a feature release.>   - Core hacking
> > will be limited to adding stuff to existing classes,> removing and
> > changing existing API's is a no-no, adding new classes, ditto.> People
> > adding stuff to the 1.6 API _must_ _absolutely_ also add the same to>
> > 2.0, at the same time.

> Why no new class ? (I was hoping for a new iterator... snif :() (or I can
> add it to 1.5 and then say : oh it's totally broken I need to fix for
> 1.6 ;p )

What kind of an iterator? We're arriving at a stage that things like new
iterators need to be discussed a bit before implementing anyway. Personally,
I think we goofed in not adding a bitfield to the bitBlt/merge functionality
to turn on and off individual channels. And no doubt there are more things
like these.

The important thing should be that 1.6 isn't a
free-for-all-refactor-the-hell-out-of-it opportunity, not if we want to avoid
making life impossibly hard for ourselves when porting to Qt4.

So maybe my proposal should be amended:

* New API classes in 1.6 must be proposed and discussed on the mailing list
and implemented in 2.0, too. The same holds for new methods to existing
classes. It is the responsibility of the person adding the methods to add the
method to both branches.

> - Someone else must be release
> > dude for 1.6I volunteer,

> I should have enought time, but I expect you to
> > help me ;)

Okay.