Status Update for 2.0 and 1.6

Cyrille Berger cberger at cberger.net
Sat Dec 30 11:45:49 CET 2006

On Sat, Dec 30, 2006, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> Current activities
>
> * Cyrille is working on Pigment, re-enabling the HDR stuff and maybe expanding
> it with tonemapping.
Well tonemapping has allways been considered on my todo for 2.1... For
2.0 it's ldr2hdr, on the other hand, bala on irc (who also wrote a
filter which will soon be imported in svn, in krita-plugins for
starting) is willing to give a try to tonemapping.

> State of trunk:
>
> * Pigment is coming along nicely -- even though the hdr colorspaces don't
> compile for me
We need to find the solution to that one, has for me the two floats
colorspaces are completed and fully functionnal (except for the profile
part for display convertion).

> * Not everything changed and fixed in 1.6 has been ported yet to trunk
We need to put together the list of those things:
 - three filters : levels, halftoning and colorify
 - smudge

As for bug fixes, I forward port them straight away to avoid forgetting
them.

> Current architecture issues:
>
> * I've decided to make KisPaintDevice a true QPaintDevice. We need to add
> resolution to KisPaintDevice to make that truly work: for now a
> KisPaintDevice is 72 dots to the inch.
Any reason behind that ? (out of curiosity)

> * Still to implement compression in the tile backend; also we need to figure
> out how to place stuff from the tiles in the graphics card memory for shaders
> to work on. (Have a hierarchy of texture - memory - compressed memory - swap
> for tiles).
and we might want to use _mm_malloc (from mm_malloc.h) to get alligned
data for sse instructions

> * Convolution will suck until we can lock a certain area of memory or do
> convolution in the graphics card.
and until we do the convolution in two passes, vertical and horizontal,
but that's on my todo for a much later date.

> * adjustment layers somehow got fragile, probably related to selection stuff.
> Besides, it's silly that we paint with gray levels on masks, but with opacity
> on adj. layers. We need to make that the same
Well we have more or less decided to use mask for adjustement layer in
2.0 instead of drawing on them, haven't we ?

--
Cyrille Berger